The first document about Ilfov county, known until today, is was found in a degree of a Romanian prince, Basarab the Younger:
the degree of Basarab Laiotă. This degree of curing the properties of Snagov Monastery, issued on the day March 23, 1482 at
Gherghita, refers to the Ilfov county, "… and again as many villages in the county has Elfov Holy Monastery and the toll they take on
neighbors monastery by the ones responsible with the toll ... ".
Due to its favorable geographic position and arrangement around Bucharest, which became city in. the fifteenth century, the area has
developed in short time and became very populated. The oldest traces of habitation discovered in the current area of Ilfov county
dates back to Neolithic times through the remains unearthed in Cernica, Glina and other areas. Conquest (101-102, 105-106) and
then the Roman occupation (106-271/275) of Dacia had influenced Ilfov’s lands but also the temporary invasions and occupations
of other peoples in III-VII centuries have left visible traces in the lives of the people without, to dislodge them from the places there
Cernica Monastery, built in sec. the XVII century by Cernica Ştirbei Vornicul. There are here two churches, tombs of bishops, beautiful
icons and also you can see the restorations of a rich library, a printing house of religious works.
Căldăruşani Monastery, founded by Matei Basarab (1638), with inscriptions and paintings due to one of the greatest Romanian
artists Nicolae Grigorescu.
Snagov Monastery, on an island in the middle of the lake. Founded Suissa Vlad the Impaler, whose monastery enclosure walls can still
be seen, was a place of torture seneschal Constantin Cantacuzino and served as shelter Antim Ivireanu printing.
Mogosoaia Palace, The most beautiful palace existing in Romania, is the Mogoşoaia, complete with a beautiful old church, which is his
portraits Constantin Brâncoveanu young man and his family.
Located in the Romanian plain, Ilfov county occupies an area of 1,583 km2, which represents about 3.5% of the country and is
currently the smallest county in the country, with a total of population as about 300 000 inhabitants. Ilfov sounty is located between
the rivers Arges and Ialomita, being crossed by rivers Sabar, Ciorogârla, Dâmboviţa, Colentina, Cociovalistea Snagov and Mostiştea.
On its territory there are eight cities: Bragadiru, Buftea, Chitila, Magurele, Otopeni, Panteleimon, Popesti Leordeni and Voluntari, and
32 district villages (comuna) with 96 villages.